Nhlanhla Nene served as the Minister of Finance of South Africa under President Jacob Zuma from 25 May 2014 until his controversial removal on 9 December 2015, and under President Cyril Ramaphosa from 27 February 2018 until his resignation on 9 October 2018
Mr Nene previously served as the Minister of Finance. He was born on 05 December 1958. He had been a Member of Parliament since 1999. He was appointed into his position in November 2008 and he was re-appointed on 11 May 2009. He holds a B.Com Honours degree in Economics from the University of Western Cape (UWC). He worked as a Regional Administrative Manager for the Metropolitan Life Insurance for 15 years.
He became a Labour union shop steward and led a negotiating Team for better working conditions during the period 1990 to 1995 and he organised the first ever strike in the financial sector.
- Former Minister of Finance: Republic of South Africa, having served two administrations as
- Deputy Minister of Finance and Chairperson of the Public Investment Corporation; representing South Africa at a number of Multilateral Institutions (IMF,World Bank, G20,BRICS, Commonwealth and the AfDB)
- Experience in the Financial Sector: Sales Representative and Administration Manager at Metropolitan Life for 15 years
- Currently serves as Chairperson of the Supervisory Board of Arise BV (Dutch based investment company, investing in Africa)
- Recently appointed to chair the Board of Empact Group (Catering and Facilities management company now wholly owned by Thebe Investment Corporation)
- Former Resident Advisor: Thebe Investment Corporation
- Former Interim Director and Head of Wits Business School and Honorary Professor
- Holds a B Comm. (Hons) UWC, Certificate in Economics (UNISA), Certificate in Macro and Microeconomics (University of London)
- Serves as resource person on Ministerial Leadership Program at Harvard Business School
- Served as student and union leader in the late 70’s, 1980’s and 90’s and as Regional Secretary of the ANC , and Local Government Coulncillor
- Holds several Community Leadership positions